Eating Popcorn With A Spoon

06 August 2005

the fast food worker

You may be familiar with the "Mind of Mencia"; was watching it recently on Comedy Central. The monologue went something like this:
If you are a teenager working in a fast food place, that is great, you are learning some skills. If you are new to the country and working in a fast food place, that is great, you are getting accustomed to the new culture. If you are a 25 year old who was born and raised in America, and you are working at a fast food place, you are a retard.

Common theme held by many people. But let's think about this for a second. What is the most important part of life? I'd say food. Without food, there ain't no life. What do they do at restaurants? They give you food. These are very important people.

My guess at second most important thing is shelter, be it clothing or some form of housing. Do we respect people making our clothes? No, not really. How about those who do the labor of building. Not much more respect for them amoungst the non-labor crowd. Interesting.

I'd say the third most important part of life would be reproduction. (If you can't feed and shelter one, you will probably fail at providing for another.) However, for most, sex seems to be quite separated from reproduction.

One is free to completely disagree with my priorities. Although I think it's foolish. Better to disagree with my conclusion that we should respect people who provide us food, clothing and shelter.

A few days ago the Taco Bell near my home was giving away free tacos and cake for an anniversary. Well advertised for a month. The place is attached to a popular gas station which had signs posted on the doors and at the check out. I was the only one in the Taco Bell for the duration of my stay. I find it amazing that we live in a society where food was given away freely and no one was there to partake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home